If life begins after forty.....SURPRISE!! I'm late again

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Prickly pear heaven?

(Yesterday)
I was so proud of myself - not only did I knock on a strangers door, introduce myself, & get permission to harvest her prickly pears! (something I did NOT want to do) But I got my gloves, bucket, tongs, and Evie of course. She found this to be very exciting since apparently Pop had once told her he had made jelly with prickly pears. So off we went - teamwork at its best!  I would pick and place them on the ground, and my Evie would take her tongs and place the lovely fruit into the bucket.  A great time was had by all.  When Pop arrived home from work we were proudly telling him of our accomplishment, when we hear "they wouldnt let me help" from my Nana, my 87 yr old grandmother.  I was unaware she wanted to go.  My wonderful husband says "then get your shoes on and lets go" So back we went. Thats the Pleasantville version  
Here's my version of Desperate housewives
(Today)
3:00   Waited way to late to start juicing prickly pear
4:00   Nana wont quit about wanting to go to Walgreens when I say "OK!!! you win!" As I slam down my  masher and grab my keys. To walgreens we go
4:45   Stop and get fried chicken for dinner so I can get back to juicin them PRICKLY pear.
 Get home get Lance his dinner and Rx I picked up    
5:00  Start boilin and mashin
ooops its workout night Lance & Grant, I gotta put music on for them in the basement
Got it...ok back to mashin.
Ok music blaring and Nana turns on the news, not loud enough? No prob just turn it up
5:30  quick humor moment change song on playlist to "stuck in the middle with you"
10:00   I'm done - not really but I'm done
10:30  Lance gets candy bar and sweetly kisses me and says gotta go to bed now - I sweetly kiss him and say "sweet dreams"   - - - - NOT!!!! 
11:30  Wont go into details, but I'm cleaning up and I'll just finish tomorrow........then it happens
     A GNAT!!!! Yes out of the bucket of remaining fruit.
I was pushed to the edge of sanity last year, with a Gnat situation (thank you Chris)  so needless to say the gnat/s in the fruit bucket was all it took. No sleep until all the fruit is boiled, mashed, and put up.
Gee I'm glad Lance had this great idea to make prickly pear jelly!!
Oh yeah I forgot, sometime between 6 and 10 my temp crown fell out

1 comment:

  1. Evie had a great time that day! I'm sure now everytime we go on a walk she'll want to pick the prickley pears :)

    ReplyDelete